- The Krewe of Chewbacchus shortened route starts at Franklin and St. Claude, lining up on Franklin between St. Claude and the river.
- Proceeds down St. Claude (river side) and turns left on Elysian Fields Ave.
- It parades down Elysian Fields Ave and then turns right on Decatur St.
- The parade will continue on Decatur St. where it ends at Conti St.
- The Chewbacchanal will be held at The Fillmore starting at 9 p.m.
The 900-member Intergalactic Krewe of Chewbacchus is a Sci-Fi themed Mardi Gras parade, as well as a self-described satirical space cult. Chewbacchus consists of over 150 distinct subkrewes, each of which pays loving (and sometimes satirical) homage to the full spectrum of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror and everything in between. Chewbacchus is a model of creative collaboration and has grown into a self-sustaining tradition.
The parade consists of roughly 100 contraptions which are either pushed, pedaled, or pulled and are built onto bicycles, homemade trailers, and shopping carts. Chewbacchus believes that green parades are the “Future of Revelry” and does not use internal combustion engines to power floats. The mad scientists who engineer the krewe’s contraptions have found clever ways to build amazing floats that don’t require petroleum products.
The Krewe of Chewbacchus also makes all of its own throws and has created hundreds of elaborately decorated bandoliers, bean bags, Frisbees, stuffed animals, and even developed a method for casting their own custom bead medallions.
They only have only three simple thematic rules regarding costumes and parade contraptions:
- No unicorns (unless they have rocket thrusters)
- No elves (unless they are cyborgs).
- Whinebots will be air locked into the nearest Black Hole
The krewe’s traditional post-parade bash, the “Chewbacchanal,” features several parties throughout the Bywater and Marigny, organized independently by the various sub-krewes. Members now have the option of a multitude of separate Chewbacchus celebrations all over the neighborhood hosted by the groups with their own individual rites honoring the Sacred Drunken Wookiee, including a wickedly good party at the Art Garage hosted by a mysterious group calling itself the Chewluminati.