PLEASE NOTE: There will be no New Orleans parades in 2021 due to Covid.
- The Krewe of Chewbacchus starts at the corner of Homer Plessey Way and Chartres St.
- It parades down Chartres St, and then turns right onto Franklin Ave.
- The krewe then follows Franklin Ave until it turns left onto St. Claude Ave. It parades on St. Claude Ave until it turns left on Elysian Fields Ave.
- It parades down Elysian Fields Ave and then turns right on Dauphine St. for 1 block then left on Frenchmen St.
- Toward the end of Frenchmen St. it veers right onto Decatur St., along the French Quarter and then turns right onto Conti St. where it ends.
The 900-member Intergalactic Krewe of Chewbacchus is a Sci-Fi themed Mardi Gras parade, as well as a self-described satirical space cult. Chewbacchus consists of over 150 distinct subkrewes, each of which pays loving (and sometimes satirical) homage to the full spectrum of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror and everything in between. Chewbacchus is a model of creative collaboration and has grown into a self-sustaining tradition.
The parade consists of roughly 100 contraptions which are either pushed, pedaled, or pulled and are built onto bicycles, homemade trailers, and shopping carts. Chewbacchus believes that green parades are the “Future of Revelry” and does not use internal combustion engines to power floats. The mad scientists who engineer the krewe’s contraptions have found clever ways to build amazing floats that don’t require petroleum products.
The Krewe of Chewbacchus also makes all of its own throws and has created hundreds of elaborately decorated bandoliers, bean bags, Frisbees, stuffed animals, and even developed a method for casting their own custom bead medallions.
They only have only three simple thematic rules regarding costumes and parade contraptions:
- No unicorns (unless they have rocket thrusters)
- No elves (unless they are cyborgs).
- Whinebots will be air locked into the nearest Black Hole
The krewe’s traditional post-parade bash, the “Chewbacchanal,” features several parties throughout the Bywater and Marigny, organized independently by the various sub-krewes. Members now have the option of a multitude of separate Chewbacchus celebrations all over the neighborhood hosted by the groups with their own individual rites honoring the Sacred Drunken Wookiee, including a wickedly good party at the Art Garage hosted by a mysterious group calling itself the Chewluminati.