Uber Implements New Mardi Gras System
Planning to hang up your car keys this Mardi Gras? We don’t blame you! From road closures to parking pains (not to mention all the pedestrians) who needs the hassle? But you will want to be prepared because this Mardi Gras, New Orleans is changing things up a bit when it comes to Uber.
Uber has implemented a new system -- “The Box,” which they define as stretching from Napoleon to Canal St, and the river side of St. Charles Tchoupitoulas. If your destination is inside The Box, request in The Box (ex. Lower Garden District). Your Uber driver will come to your location, pick you up, and drop you off at your new destination same as always. Pretty simple, right?
However, if the place you want to go is outside of the box (French Quarter, Mid City, or Bywater to name a few), you’ll need to make your way to the edge of The Box before requesting that car.
It may sound a little confusing, especially if you aren’t familiar with the area. But don’t stress! When you open the Uber app around the parade route, messaging will appear – including a colored notification at the bottom of your screen.
- Be on the right side of the street closures before you request a car.
- Check Surge Prices – you’ll see the total cost of your ride before you request the Uber so there are no surprises when the ride is over. Fares go up and down based on number of people requesting rides
- Split the fare. You can split the costs with your krewe.
- Confirm your driver! It’s always important to confirm you’re getting in the right car – double check your driver’s license plate and car model in the app before you get in.
- Cleaning fees are real! According to Uber these fees can range from $25 - $200.
Hope you find these #protips helpful so you can let the good times roll without any worry. Need more info? Get the full scoop straight from Uber.