The Krewe of Carrollton is the fourth oldest Carnival parading organization, behind Rex, Proteus, and Zulu. It was founded by a group of Oak Street businessmen in 1924 as “The Seventh District Carnival Club” and became the Krewe of Carrollton in 1947.
The Krewe made a lasting place for itself in Carnival history when in 1933 – the wettest season on record – Carrollton was the only daytime parade to roll that year. Not even Rex paraded. Nearly a decade later, however, a devastating den fire and the outbreak of World War II caused the krewe to temporarily disband. In 1947, the surviving members got back together and resumed their place in the Mardi Gras lineup. In 1950, Carrollton became the first parade to be pulled by farm tractors instead of mules.
Now over 350 members strong, Carrollton parades on the second Sunday before Mardi Gras Day along the Uptown New Orleans route. The weekend that the parade rolls has become known as “Carrollton Weekend.”